How can I start a sentence without using the?
- Start with a word ending in ‘ing’. e.g. Opening the door, he stepped into the dark.
- Start with a preposition (so a prepositional phrase).
- Start with an adverb.
- Begin with a subordinating conjunction (so a subordinate clause).
- Write a passive sentence i.e. object + verb.
What are 7 ways to start sentences?
Seven Effective Ways to Start a Sentence
- Adjective (a word that modifies a noun)
- Adverb (a word that modifies a verb)
- Prepositional phrase (a phrase that starts with a preposition)
- Infinitive phrase.
- Gerund phrase.
- Participle phrase.
- Adverb clause.
What can I use to start a sentence with instead?
(Smith & Taylor, 2016)” is a grammatically acceptable way to begin a sentence. Although grammatically acceptable, beginning the sentence with “it” instead of naming the subject can also lead to passive voice, in which the verb (“was”) precedes the subject/actor (the researchers, Smith and Taylor).
How do you start sentences differently?
10 Tips for Starting a Sentence
- Consider your central theme. Before you get started constructing a sentence, consider what your essential point is.
- Examine the previous sentence.
- Use transition words.
- Use a preposition.
- Try a subject opener.
- Try a clausal opener.
- Use an “ing” word.
- Use an “ed” word.
What word can I use instead of the?
What is another word for the?
|the already stated||the previously mentioned|
What are the 6 ways to start a sentence?
Creative Sentence Structures
- Begin with a verb ending with -ing.
- Begin with a verb ending with -ed.
- Begin with a prepositional phrase.
- Begin with an adverb.
- Begin with an adjective.
- Begin with a phrase that tells when.
- Begin with a phrase that tells where.
- Begin with a sound word.
Whats another word for the?
Can I start sentence with the?
Well, you used “the” before “professor” for the same reason you should have used it before Level – nothing to do with starting a sentence though. You should also use it in a sentence like “I think that among my part-time faculty, the level of teaching experience is mixed.”.
What words can you not start a sentence with?
Dig deeper into the character’s voice. A first person narration should sound as though it’s coming from the character,not the author.
How would you use ‘while without’ in the sentence?
– Who else went there on that day needs to be found out. – What started off as a game turned into a dangerous battle. – When the tides are turning in our favor, there is no question of turning back. – Where eagles dare, he wanted to climb that high. – Why this was even a question baffled him. – How she would account for the missing letter was beyond her idea.
How to avoid starting sentence with “and” and “but”?
– Repetitive paragraph and sentence beginnings – Repetitive paragraph and sentence length – Repetitive sentence structure – Overused words and words that are repeated in close proximity
What are some good words to start a sentence?
Universal English Sentence Starters: Statements,Disagreeing,Breaking the Truth. Well,I’d like to believe that – when you’re expressing your hopes and expectations towards a specific person or event,this